Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Poppies






Living here in the UK, I've been most impressed by one thing. The FLOWERS! This place seems to spontaneously blossom. My garden is included in this phenomenon. I have never tended a garden less and seen more production. This morning I awoke to these blooming beauties. I only became aware about a week ago that they were poppies. (I've been hesitant to uproot anything here because I am having the hardest time telling what is a flower and what is a weed. Even the weeds have pretty blossoms here. Except the stinging nettle. I now know what THAT looks like from a painful experience in the garden about a month ago...and I've been attacking it with vigor each time I see it). I have been waiting to see them unfold. They were waving their cheerful pink heads in the breeze this morning, beckoning me to come and examine them closer. My son and I carefully tiptoed out into the dewey grass to smell them and photograph their fuzzy stems. You know, I don't think I've ever seen a poppy up close before...if at all. But, they may become one of my favorite flowers forever after!

1 comment:

that lady said...

aghgh!!! I'm in LOVE with these! Oh My Gosh!