Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Grilled Chicken and Summer Veggie Sandwich


OK...so I tried a new recipe for dinner tonight and OH MY HECK was it fabulous! We'll rate this one a 10 on our food scale (10, by the way, stands for "I'd eat this every day if I could"...1 being "I'd rather eat cardboard". None of the "1" recipes make it to this blog. Thank goodness. I don't think I've ever actually made a recipe like that, but I've seen a few. Ran across one once that was a mixture of cottage cheese and frozen mixed veggies. The lady who submitted it said it was good...but it LOOKED like vomit, and combining the ingredients in my head, I was pretty sure it would taste like vomit too. But, I digress...) This is a grilled chicken and summer veggie sandwich that will knock your socks off! And, if you're like me and trying to cut a couple of pounds...it's not bad for that either!
Ingredients:
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (more if you like alot of meat on your sandwich...but the veggies really do add alot of substance to this baby...so less is more in my opinion.)
1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise (I used a vegetable peeler to slice mine)
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and quartered
1 small red onion, cut into 1/2 inch slices
1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 cup prepared Italian dressing (divided in half)
1 loaf ciabatta bread (14 oz), halved length wise
2 tbsp olive oil (accept no substitutes...this adds some oomph to the sandwich)
1/4 cup reduced-fat mayo (or if you're throwing caution to the wind, like I did tonight, use real mayo)
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp grated lemon peel
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
Directions:
In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the zucchini, pepper, mushrooms, onion and 1/4 cup salad dressing. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Drain and discard marinade.
Meanwhile, grill chicken, covered, for 7-10 minutes on each side, basting frequently with remaining 1/4 cup Italian dressing. (You can tell chicken is done when you prick it with a fork and the juices run clear). Remove chicken from grill, cut into slices, and keep warm.
Brush cut sides of bread with oil; set aside. Place vegetables on grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until crisp-tender. Remove and keep warm. Grill bread, oil side facing the heat source, over medium heat for 30-60 seconds or until toasted.
In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice, peel and garlic. Spread over bread bottom; sprinkle with cheese. Top with chicken, vegetables, and remaining bread. Cut into four slices. Yield: 4 servings.
*If you're feeling adventurous, just like to march to the beat of your own drum, hate to be told what to do, or just hate feta cheese, zucchini, or whatever else...use this as a loose guide. Hey...that's what I do! You didn't think this was actually the recipe I got from the magazine, did ya? I made it my own thing. The recipe in the magazine was an idea maker...not a strict "how to". So, take out the mushrooms, add some fresh tomatoes, forget the feta and go with cheddar, use your own funky raspberry balsamic vinagrette instead of the Italian...whatever makes you happy. After all, cooking is about the creative process. It's expressing yourself in edible form. And creativity equals joy in my book!

No comments: