Monday, May 25, 2009

Our Deepest Fear- By Marianne Williamson

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

God works in mysterious ways. He's proved it to me over and over again. And then, this morning, as I opened my scriptures, I thought of this quote. It was exactly what I needed to hear right now.

Beginning this business is stretching me. It's purging me of my insecurity. It's making me face myself as I've never done before. I am not afraid that I will fail in this business. I KNOW that I have what it takes to make fabulous art, to friendship and network with other people and businesses, to drive myself to improve. I think what I fear the most is that this whole plan will actually WORK! What then?

I think I've spent so many years hiding from myself. Fearing that if I'm my best self, that others will feel uncomfortable around me, and so I sink a little...give them the upper edge, make myself appear lowly. I thought for the longest time that this was modesty and humility. I thought that I was following in Christ's footsteps. But, now I believe I was DEAD WRONG. That is not humility. That is humiliating! And if we kick ourselves down a notch too often, pretty soon, we begin to actually believe it! We begin to actually think that everyone else is better than we are.

Jesus Christ knew who he was. He was NOT afraid to let his light shine. He wanted people to rise to his level. He showed them what they COULD become. We are his children. He's asked us to "Come follow me". Shouldn't I do the same? Shouldn't I let my light shine instead of hiding it under a bushel? Wouldn't people be more confident to be themselves if they knew the genuine me? I think so.

I am not perfect, nor will I ever be in this life. The piles of dirty laundry in my hallway and clean laundry piled on my bed can attest to that. But I have a lot to offer the world. I love my family. I love people. I serve my heart out every stinking day. I love Jesus Christ and I'm doing my very best to do his will for me. I have so many gifts it's ridiculous. I don't know what I ever did to deserve them all. This business is helping me see that I was given those gifts to USE them, not hide them. And if using them means that I put myself "out there" a little more, that the beauty that is inherent in my person comes to light along with my warts...so be it.

So, watch out world! I'm going to try and stand up tall on these two feet of mine. And, maybe, just maybe I'll get around to doing the laundry too?

2 comments:

that lady said...

i love this. this made me feel good. I love you! I can conquer the world! and create 10 beautiful hairpieces for you and clean house, do bubs laundry, work out and make a yummy dinner! Woo hoo!!!

teri hales said...

You can...absolutely! You are another of those people that God gave an overflowing bushel of talents to. I can't wait to see what you do with yours!